Friday, June 3, 2011

120000 Varieties of Fragile Flowers


120,000 Varieties of Fragile Flowers

The number seems hard to believe. Could there be 120,000 varieties of flowers in the entire world? Yet, this is what my guide told me in Ankara, the capital of Turkey. Ankara has a Peace Park that has gathered 120,000 varieties of flowers from around the world. Think about that! How much effort would it take to gather and plant and tend that many flowers?

The symbolism of the Peace Park is that it takes less effort to gather and plant and tend 120,000 varieties of flowers from around the world that it takes to have a war. Peace requires effort and peace requires respect for the contributions of all the Peoples of the Earth. Why are we so unwilling to work at peace? The symbolism is also that like flowers, Peace is fragile and it must be nurtured with deep and loving care.
Yesterday Gorky, my guide, told me of a village is south eastern Turkey with approximate equal numbers of Syrian Christians, Jews and Moslems who live together in peace. We talked also about the latest news coming out of Egypt. Gorky believes that Turkey is a model for other Muslim countries on how to be a modern , democratic and religiously open country that celebrates its diversity.


When we arrived at my cave hotel in Cappadocia, signing in was like nothing I have heard of before. I was ushered into a beautiful Turkish lounge and seated on a bench covered with beautiful carpets. I was offered my choice of welcome beverages and chose red wine made in Cappadocia. The manager joined us to take care of a few details and welcome me warmly. Like others had done throughout the trip, he asked me about my "COEXIST" necklace. I explained and he shared with me his knowledge about another community in southeast Turkey that had chosen to celebrate its diversity and affirm people of all faiths. Doesn’t it start to seem like there are people and forces at work all over the world that work for peace?

In the Istanbul airport I bought an English copy of Time Magazine. One of the cover stories was entitled, "EGYPT: Christians and Muslims Start a New Conversation." In the wake of the Turkish Rebellion, there were sporadic outbreaks of religious violence. In response to one threat, "A group of young Muslims and Christian leaders in Cairo who had worked together during the revolution swept into Sol to address the situation. The group was building on the spirit of Muslin-Christian partnership that had developed in Tahrir Square. Day after day during the revolution, Christians locked arms to protect Muslims during prayers. Muslims did the same for Christians during Mass. Muslims and Christians linked arms to protect Cairo’s historic synagogue. The protesters even adopted an interlocking crescent and cross as their symbol of a new Egypt…A popular televangelist, Amr Khaled, often called Egypt’s Billy Graham," told the crowd, "My message today for Muslims and Christians is, ‘Let’s be one hand.’"

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love that. It takes less effort to gather and tend 120,000 varieties of flowers than it does to start a war. Your trip is worthwhile in that one statement and probably thousands of others. Flowers. Blossoms. As I prepare to teach at Holden Village in early July, I'm thinking tonight I'll end with Blossoming. Each of us... a blossom... a unique flower of God. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete