Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sabbatical Preparations Continue--March 1, 2011

            I continue to find myself drawn to learning about Islam.  Three church members and myself attended a presentation on how Moslems, Christians and Jews view their scriptures.  I learned a lot from the speakers about each tradition.  There is absolutely no doubt that scripture is viewed very differently in our three traditions--to say nothing of the differences within each tradition. 

 Would anyone like to know more about these differences?

            Last Sunday I had my good friend Rabbii Janice talk about the same topic to our adult forum.  Janice is an exciting teacher.  I hope she will return and address two more questions, 1)  What it is like to be Jewish in Springfield, including being a Jewish parent, and 2)  What it was like to grow up in a family where both parents were holocaust survivors,   

             I have completed two books on Islam recommended by a student at Wittenberg and am reading three other books, one an overview on the Koran, one an overview on Islam, and the third a scholars look at the face of Islam across the world today.  A couple of the books read like the works of many Christians who are critical scholars of scripture.  A couple of others read like what I imagine I would experience if I could stomach reading a fundamentalist Christian apologist.   It is actually fairly easy, after many years of learning to discern the truth from among various Christian positions, to discern what feels like truth when reading works on Islam.  I don’t think there are any areas of my life where I don’t notice absolutist claims.  This is especially true when I am listening to individuals share their stories or give their testimonies.

I attended a class at the University of Dayton where a Moslem woman told about her life as a Moslem in America.  She was interesting and vibrant and articulate.  She was also, to me, unbelievable.  The answers to too many questions seemed memorized.   There was never a hint of ambiguity or doubt.   She was not seeking anything because everything of importance had already been found.  All declarations  were easy.  Above all, as I would be uncomfortable engaging her in a deep or honest conversation for fear that my doubts and fears would only make me vulnerable and that sharing would not open doors to a deeper relationship.

What do you think out there in cyberspace?   Do you also imagine that you can identify people whose minds and hearts and spirits are not open?   Is it reasonable that in the unfolding plan of God it might be possible to find new friends, especially in a place like Turkey, who might be so open that they can open my eyes and heart?  Are there such potential relationships closer to home?

No comments:

Post a Comment